6 Simple "Fun Foods" to try for your kiddos!
Like most typical 4 year olds, my son started going through a picky stage this past year.
I was wracking my brain trying to find a way to make breakfast & lunch time more fun when I decided to start experimenting with some “fun foods” as we call them!
To say it was a hit is an understatement! Grant went from being the pickiest eaer to BEGGING me to make a “fun food” and eating every bite! So i’ve gathered up a list of 6 fun EASY fun foods to try out for your kids!
(I added the fruit/ingredients I personally used for each of these foods. Feel free to use any variation that would fit the theme.)
(Also: I don’t ALWAYS make “fun foods” but since I’ve started these, they’ve also helped Grant to be more open to trying new foods in regular ways as well. We do these on occasion just to keep our eating habits fun!)
- Peanut Butter
By far the easiest one to start!
– We spread the peanut butter out
– Cut up the banana into 3 slices for the nose and ears
– Add the blueberries for eyes and a part of the nose! (The leftover banana was set aside in a bowl for him to eat as well, so no wasting!)
"ICE CREAM CONE" WAFFLE
- Apple (or a real cherry or any other variation of a red fruit)
For this one, I used culinary scissors and cut the waffle into a triangle shape.
– Cut the waffle into a triangle
– Slice the banana and arrange the slices in a layered shape similar to “ice cream” on top!
– I then sliced up an apple to put in the side bowl for this one, and used some of the skin of it for a decorative “cherry on top”! But you can use any red food, or even a real cherry for this.
- Mandarins/Orange slices
- Sliced strawberry
- chocolate syrup
This one required a few more ingredients then some of the others, but we are big fruit eaters in our house so we had everything already in stock!
– Start with a pancake
– Peel the mandarin and then place the slices around the pancake
– I used blueberries as eyes and sliced the strawberry to resemble the lions “nose”
– I used chocolate syrup to create the details on his mouth and whiskers!
(This one was a big hit as lions are one of my sons favorite animals!!
- Chocolate syrup (or chocolate chips!?)
My son is OBSESSED with sausage. Like its one of the only foods that he could probably eat 24/7 and still love. I actually had a few more sausages in his “extra bowl” for this breakfast.
This breakfast was super fun because he ALSO loves dinosaurs.
So for this one…
– Cut the bottom off of the waffle to make it straight and even.
– Grab a few strawberries and slice them in half.
– Arrange the strawberries around the dino body
– Add a banana as the tail!
– Slice up some sausage and make little dinosaur feet.
– Finally, I added some more “decoration” with chocolate syrup
- Peanut Butter
Another super easy “toast” piece.
– Start with your toast and add some peanut butter to it.
– Slice your bananas and strawberries.
-Slice your apples into triangles. (I could have used bananas for the ears, too to minimize the ingredients use, but Grant wanted apples that morning, anyways so I used them and then put the rest of the apple in his bowl on the side)
– Once everything is sliced, add it to the toast like above.
– Spread out some peanuts in a “smile” shape!
I’m not gonna lie, this one was definitely the most time consuming of the 6, mostly because cutting the apples is probably the most tedious out of all of the “food cutting” and its time consuming.
– Start with your waffle
– Cut the apples into triangular “pointed” legs.
– Cut the tips of the strawberries to resemble “pinchers”
– Slice your bananas
– Add the banana slices and blueberries on top for eyes!
Grant really loved this one and thought it was hilarious, so the time consuming-ness of it was well worth it!
A little side note: I meantioned above in a few sides that any leftover foods (ex: If I used 2 banana slices and had a lot of banana left) went into an “extra”/”leftover” bowl to go with the food for him to prevent waste!!
So there you have it! 6 fun foods your kids are guaranteed to love! (Mine did, at least!) I hope this sparked some creativity for you and helps you to create some fun foods your littles will love!
Leave me a comment letting me know what you think! Will you try with your kiddos, too? What are their favorite foods?
Just mentioning again that any leftover foods (ex: if I used 2 banana slices and had a whole banana left) went into an “extra”/”leftover” bowl to go with the food for him to prevent waste!
So there you have it! 6 fun foods your kids are guaranteed to love! (Mine did, at least. haha)
I hope this sparked some creativity for you and helps you to create some fun foods your littles will love!
Leave me a comment letting me know what you think! Will you try with your kiddos? Which one is your favorite?